Chick Grit ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OutofthePen, Dec 3, 2013.

1. OutofthePen

OutofthePen New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    Hi I am new to raising chickens I currently have 4 Buff Orpington chicks they were 3 weeks old on Monday, right now they are on chick starter only but I wanted to start introducing them to other types of foods like mealworms, my question is are they too young ?, when do you start them on chick grit ? Any advice is geatly appreciated. :)

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can do it now if you wish, or at least many people do, but watch the size of the pieces. Those throats are small and they can get choked. They don't actually need anything but their feed, though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. OutofthePen

OutofthePen New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    Great.... so chick grit is just an additional supplement ???

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not really a supplement. They use grit to grind up their food in their gizzard. In time they pass it so need to eat more. Chick feed has sufficient grit addded for them to handle the feed, but if you give other foods, they need to be offered grit. You don't need to mix it in the food, just have it available in a separate dish, and they will take what they need.

5. OutofthePen

OutofthePen New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    Thanks

6. HDLMN

HDLMN Out Of The Brooder

Is it okay for me to give them a little regular grit with the starter feed when they are two days old?

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    See Judy's post above (4). If all they are getting is starter then they don't need grit yet.

8. disneyguy

disneyguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Pardon the post takeover but it seemed an appropriate alternative to starting a new thread - does feed differ when it comes to pellets or crumbles, which I was told the latter is just a crushed up version of the former?

9. HDLMN

HDLMN Out Of The Brooder

Im pretty sure most of the time they are the same, but remember, it can vary per brand.

10. dusica731

dusica731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    So sorry to butt in, but should I be using grit if my flock free ranges all day? They are 4-11 weeks old...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by