chick growth/body mass question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swoop, Feb 6, 2009.

1. swoop

swoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    nyc
    hi all

i have a question...
    my chicks are now 2.5 wks old - they have at least doubled in size - eat blue seal medicated chick starter non-stop - have constant supply of fresh water which they drink - they are very active and pretend to fly [​IMG] - my question, when i pick them up their breast bones are reeeaally prominent, more than what i am used to feeling with pet birds that i have handled - i never let their food run out - is this just a part of their body mass having to catch up with the rest of their rapid growth - or are they (scrawny!?![​IMG]) not getting enough of something?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I believe that is the case. My BO's were really substantial in body mass so I was used to that, then I got the EE chicks and they have pokey breast bones too. And now they are fine, except for the fact that they have become known as the Wussies. [​IMG]

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I was noticing the same thing with our new chicks (about 4 weeks old now). I think it's that their bodies are using all available nutrition to produce feathers and grow bones, so not much is going to the "padding". I suspect that they'll fill out once the infrastructure is in place. Anyone want to chime in - am I on the right track?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The keels on chickens not bred for meat are rather "pointy" so to say. a "V" shape is normal. a "Y" shape is something to worry about. I found my parakeets to have rounder breasts than the layer type birds. Don't expect anything like a meat bird from the store type of body. As long as you can't feel the sides of the keel, they are probably fine. Like the above poster mentioned, they got a while to go before they start filing out. Just wait till their scrawny and gangly teen weeks!

5. swoop

swoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    nyc
    thanks for the reassuring info![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by