Chick Guilt

DangerChickenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I'm in a very urban neighborhood and my house sits on 1/4 acre (front and back). My four buff orpingtons are in a 8 x 8 run during the day. We started letting them out into the yard a few days ago for a few hours at a time. Now, every time we open the back door or pull into the driveway they go absolutely crazy.
D.gif
They all run to the run door and start yelling at us. I know they want to be let out into the yard. Major guilt.

Is our run too small?
idunno.gif

I have an 18X10 run with a 14 sq foot house inside for them. I have an 8 foot fence around the whole back yard. I to am on a 1/4 subdivision home. The only reason that I lock the chickens in the coop at night is for raccoon protection. We have red tailed hawks in the neighborhood but my sex links are possibly bigger than the hawks. Is your coop to small. That is like saying, can you have too much fun. I try to let the hens out early to enhance morning bug and worm menu. The downfall is that I have no ripe tomatoes in the garden. I think I might fence off the garden next year, not sure yet. The way I look at it is the more I let them out the less food I need to buy them.

Our entire yard is fenced in because we are on a corner lot. We have plans to fence in JUST the back where the fence is the tallest (4ft) But, I'm afraid the 4 ft fence isn't going to be tall enough once they are full grown.

Thanks for you comments. I think our chickens are running the show. And, I know that's not changing anytime soon.

Quote:
Well, you could always clip their wing feathers. That should stop them hopping a 4' fence. All depends on whether you think they might ever have to fly to safety from a predator and whether that's more important than keeping them inside your fence. My birds can hop a 7' fence when they take the notion, so a higher fence isn't guaranteed to keep them in. I free range mine and don't clip their wings, but my dogs are usually around the farm to keep them safe from foxes etc.

Back
Top Bottom