1. Theladiesandagentleman

Theladiesandagentleman First world chickens

Feb 23, 2018
    Roseville CA
    Three week old D'uccle making gulping motions and shaking head. She just had some dried mealworm pieces. We have her a syringe of water and some grit. Massaged her crop. She is drinking and eating. Crop felt normal. It's been 30 minutes and she is still gulping. No wheezing or breathing issue and no discharge on nostrils. Can you take a look at the video and offer any advice? Thank you all!

2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    My D'Uccle did this as a 4-6 week chick when eating grass. Many times. She always worked it out eventually. I think the bantam chicks have a harder time swallowing long things. Good luck!
    Sue

3. Relleoms

Relleoms Songster

Jan 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Following. My babies are doing that, too, and they aren’t getting treats. I’m assuming it’s normal, but would like someone with experience to confirm!

4. oceansunset73

oceansunset73 Songster

Jul 14, 2017
    California
    My girls did that when they were young. Now that they are older they still do it, just not as often. I always thought they were just adjusting their crop.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like she is adjusting her crop, but keep an eye at, and make sure that her crop empties overnight by morning.
    She seems to be picking at herself a lot, so I would inspect her all over and under her vent for lice and mites. She seems cery itchy.

6. Theladiesandagentleman

Theladiesandagentleman First world chickens

Feb 23, 2018
    Roseville CA
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: