Chick had a seizure and died suddenly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by InsaneBreeder, Mar 21, 2011.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    A few minutes ago, I found my 2-month-old male bantam cochin chick lying on the ground with his feet tucked under him. I picked him up, and he didn't move much but drew his neck in and blinked, and I looked for injuries and that sort of thing but didn't find anything. Some things I did notice were that he was cold to the touch, his skin was yellowish, and he was somewhat thin. I started talking to him, and he opened his eyes, had a seizure, and died directly afterwards. Up until the time when I found him on the ground, he had been acting perfectly normal and showing no abnormalities except that he kept his neck tucked in a bit. I dusted him for mites two days ago, so I wondered if he inhaled some of the dust and was poisoned, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know why he might have died?

2. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Thanks for the link [​IMG] But I am still not sure what it is.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sorry for your loss, sometimes there is just no explaination, I know that doesn't help but it's true. [​IMG] short of a necropsy

4. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Gah, now four more are displaying the same symptoms (neck held close to the body, lethargy, paleness), and I am beginning to think it might be sourcrop.

5. susie125

susie125 New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    did you ever find out what happened to cause this? did any of your other birds die? i had the exact thing happen to me a few days ago except with a hen and now im conserned for my other birds and am desporatly serching for information on the subject.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by