Chick had pasty butt but and I haven't seen her poop yet.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandymandie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. dandymandie

dandymandie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Hi all! I have a quick question and need a little guidance.
    Last night before bed I went to check the chicks as usual and surprise! One had pasty butt. I soaked the stuck on bit with a cotton swab and warm water and was able to roll the poo off of her no problem. I used a little bit of neosporin on each of their vents, but I noticed when I got back to Midnight's bottom that she was doing this puckering thing with her vent. And its quite dramatic. I watched for as long as I could before having to go to bed. In the middle of the night... Still puckering.. And this morning same thing. Is it possible that she may have a poo stuck inside or just can't go? She's a silkie and I know that they should not get wet, but is it okay to soak her bottom in a little bowl with warm water? I read through some of the causes and we have well water so I added ACV to their waterer, they have plenty of space and the temp does go up a little bit once in a while but only by 2-3 degrees. I'm going to be so worried about her while at work today. :( Any guidance greatly appreciated!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Possible constipation. I would get some probiotics in them. Plain yogurt as an emergency move. I get a probiotic powder into the chicks first water and never have pasted vent any more.
    http://www.gro2max.com/

3. dandymandie

dandymandie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Thank you ChickenCanoe. I will get some probiotics into them asap!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by