1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Had Pasty Butt, Now Has Prolapse. Best Method of Treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleRedCoop, Mar 17, 2012.

1. LittleRedCoop

LittleRedCoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi there,

I bought a handful of chicks from Tractor Supply on Thursday. My young black Australorp pullet, who is 4 days old today, had pasty butt when I brought her home. I cleaned her up with some warm water and noticed that she had prolapse (I researched it and am nearly positive this is what it is). I have never experienced this before. She is now free of pasty butt and has been for two days. I have been applying vaseline to her bum a few times a day and it seems a little better, but the prolapse is still present. However, it looks less irritated. Am I doing the right thing? Is there another treatment out there that would work better? It seemed to really hurt her the first day but she doesn't complain as much when I treat it now.

I really want to help my little chick out. All advice is appreciated. Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by