Chick haemorrhage?

MungoSummer

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
South of England
I have a clutch of four week old chicks under an infrared lamp in the garage. They have good quality chick crumbs, daily probiotics since hatch and vitamins up to 3 weeks of age. They have treats of meal worms and dandelions to peck at. All healthy and lively when checked last night. This morning one was dead. It had blood on one nostril and there were several patches of blood in the wood chips. No other marks on the body. All other chicks still seem very healthy. Do you think it's just a random haemorrhage due to some sort of birth defect, or something which may spread? This is my third clutch this year and I have had no problems with any other chicks. Many thanks.

We have another dead chick this morning. No nosebleed or blood this time and once again all birds were fine yesterday. They have never been outside and their vents are all clean. Can anyone help? Thanks

is there any diarrhea or anything else going on? I'd probably do a treatment of corid just in case of cocci. the only other thing I could think of off hand was where are the dandelions coming from? No one used a weed killer, insecticide or anything on them recently?

Hopefully someone with more experience can help you.

Thank you for your reply. All of the poo looks healthy. I picked the dandelion from our own garden where we don't use weed killers. I looked up 'nosebleed' in Emergences/Diseases/Injuries and possible rat poison was mentioned. These chicks are in a pen with wooden sides and mesh on top so have a total height of 6'. We have no poison in the garage anyway. I thought it was a one off yesterday but is getting a bit worrying now.

Back
Top Bottom