Chick has a brocken toe.

juliachick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
(Northeastern PA)
Yesterday we decided to add on to our flock. We brought home 8 healthy baby chicks. My sister was holding one of the silkies and dropped her. The chick looked fine but then we noticed hobbling. Her toe was curled slightly but she could walk fine. I clipped some tooth picks to the size of her toe and splinted it with some medical tape. the toe is still slightly curled indie the splint and not very tight. I need some help on what to do.

Note: Culling is NOT an option! We have her separated from the others but she keeps pecking the splint.

We have applied the band aid boot and its keeping the toe straighter but it's a little heavy. The other chicks are pecking a little but have almost stopped. If anyone has any suggestions that would be really great!

I have an adult hen that was part of some point of lay pullets that I bought last year, she has a bent toe, that I assume was broken when she was a baby. She gets around just fine, just leaves a little bit different track in the sand than the other girls. I am sure your girl will be fine, assuming this there is no bone showing and the break is all inside...not compounded?

We can barely tell its there except the curling. I'm sure that she will be fine but we were planning on showing. Also the chicks all slipped her boot off so any ideas on what to splint it with? Thank you btw!

Back
Top Bottom