Chick has a problem with her wings, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiefrizzles, Sep 9, 2016.

1. silkiefrizzles

silkiefrizzles Just Hatched

Jun 1, 2016
    My broody silkie cross hatched out five chicks, but one's wings are just hanging there, does anyone know why\had this problem before an know how to fix them, or will she/he be alright like that?[​IMG] she/he is the yellow one

2. silkiefrizzles

Jun 1, 2016
    More photos

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try some poultry vitamins and electrolytes, such as SaveAChick or a tonic such as Poultry Cell. She could be dehydrated or have some neurological problem. Make sure that it is eating and drinking, or feed it with a dropper. An injury to her wings could also be a possibility. How old is it?

4. silkiefrizzles

Jun 1, 2016
    She was a Dy old in that photo, she is now a week and a day old, and sh still has the same problem, otherwise she acts like a normal chick[​IMG]

5. silkiefrizzles

Jun 1, 2016
    I think that she will be alright as she is, she is like a normal chick otherwise.
    We have named her Cara.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She's darling, she will probably need extra predator protection ( no free ranging) because I would imagine she can't fly.

7. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    It's hard to tell from the pic but do her wings look like this?
    [​IMG]

If so this guy's wings seemed twisted...tried vitamins and even vet wrap to hold them in position for a few days. Didn't work but I maybe didn't keep them taped long enough. This is him today.
    [​IMG]
    His primary flight feathers are still in wrong position most of the time but it doesn't affect him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by