Chick has bad feet

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Orange Ribbon, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tenth chick to hatch is having feet problems. After several hours it can't stand yet, and the feet just seem to not have any ability or strength to work the toes right. They just curl up under and don't do anything. Poor little feller is really trying, but I'm worried it isn't going to make it. Of course, I'll give it awhile to see if it straightens out. In the mean time I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this sort of problem and if there is anything I can do for it?

Thanks.

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    are the birds legs staying under it or splaying out?

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    He seems to have stayed in the shell too long (weak).

If you can get to the grocery store, pick up some poli vi sol without iron in the infant section. Place a few droplets in the water for the little one. Take a yogurt cup and line the bottom and place little one in there so he can stand up. He may overcome the curling but some extra measures need to be taken so he gets all the help to get started.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks Quail Lady,

I was wondering if it were something like that. The legs are not splaying, but seem too weak to bear weight along with the feet curled. Another hatched a while ago and started off the same way, but seems to be gaining strength. Another is pipping and I'll just have to wait and see what it does.

I'm not able to get out right now. I finally got a couple hours sleep just a bit ago, but I have been awake for going on 3 days. I don't feel well enough to head for town, and don't have anyone available to pick anything up right now either. Well, at least the next time I incubate eggs I can have this stuff on hand just incase. I will fix up something to hold it up though.

Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by