Chick has bald spots and dry skin on those spots

What is the chick rubbing up against?

I see broken feather follicles in the skin. You may have some plucking going on as well.

What do you feed? I think I would observe closely to see if the others are plucking out feathers, if he's picking at his own feathers...

Where are you located in the world? Provide the chicks with a tub of dirt to take dust baths if they are not going out anytime soon.
Missouri and Southern natural feeds chick starter grower

I have an EE doing the same thing. It's just bald under where the wings are, but where there is a gap going down the spine seems to be feathering in. I wasn't.too worried about it. Figured she'd grow feathers eventually. I feed a chick starter. I think nutrena but could be Purina.

16511894950092846144113344262003.jpg

Is it acting normal?
Is there anything else wrong or off with the chick besides just the feathers being rubbed, plucked, not growing or whatever the issue is?
Has it been preening itself?

He acts fine and what is preening?
Preening is what chickens and ducks or any feathered animal does to keep their feathers in good condition... I hope I was able to describe it good enough.
Please correct me if I am wrong about anything I just said.... Or if you have another word for preening.

The rest of his feathers don't look mangy right?
And your last picture of him was just the head, what does the rest of the bald spots look like?
How many times or how often do you see him/her preening?

Back
Top Bottom