Chick has been gasping for a few days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose

theres a video of it. We got some livestock vitamin solution (seems like gatorade) and gave her some chick grit. Feels a little lighter than her broodmates. Think she might have eaten some wood shavings which we took out. Cant really feel a crop though so that might not be it. Don't hear wheezing when I hold her to my ear. Tried to look down her mouth but its too tiny.

2. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    are they on medicated chick feed

3. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    This may be something that you are totally not into, but this is what I do...I have had a few wheezing before when they get caught in the rain, catching cold or whatever...When mine start wheezing the first thing I do is give them a shot of Tylan 50 in the wing once a day for about 3 days, unless it continues and then if it does I do it no longer than 5 days...I also put some antibiotic in their water and just run it through everyone so they do not contract whatever she has...But that is just what I do...I have not had to do this, this winter and it has been nice....Good Luck [​IMG]

4. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Yes its the medicated kind. The feed store said it had to be becaue they were susceptible to coccidosis or something.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think gasping = respiratory and the best thing you can do right now is get her an antibiotic specifically for respiratory infection., Like Tylan, to name one. Other than that, she might have aspirated some liquid.

If it gets worse, you may want to think about the humane thing. It's hard when they get sick and there's not much you can do. I'm sorry.

6. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Well, she died last night. I really thought the antibiotics had turned her around, she got perkier and was eating more, bu it was too late I think. I washed the brooder with alcohol and moved everyone else. Will a washing really clean out the other brooder? Or is their something else I should do? I did start eggs last night so I might need to use it in a month, depending on hatch size (its the tiny brooder).

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm sorry she died. It happens. When they gasp it's most likely too late.

I'm a hot water and dish soap person, unless there's a virus involved. I usually take my chick stuff outside and use dish soap and a rag, clorox and a rag, or Oxine , which people like. I did find some cleaner that kills everything in hospitals, you leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing. That's what I use on bigger stuff.

If you've only lost one chick and not a few, the chick most likely died from something that's not contageous. But scrub between hatches anyway.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by