Chick has black comb?

lovelyduckling

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 21, 2016
I have a barred rock hen and black sex link rooster and 4 chicks from the hatch. The chicks are about 4 months old now and 2 look just like their mama. The other 2 are black kinda like their dad. The black ones both have had black combs since they were born and the combs are still short apart from the others. I don't know if this is a problem or not but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to kill them or something. Should I be worried about it? I also figured it might be because of gender but I just don't know.

Interesting, black silkies and a few other breeds have black combs, could you post a photo?

Last edited:
Probably something in the genetic mix from the black sexlink.
Have some buddies that got black sexlinks last year, many have blackish combs.
Wonders if the 'fibro' birds that are so popular the last few years are getting their toes into the gene pool?

I have a barred rock hen and black sex link rooster and 4 chicks from the hatch. The chicks are about 4 months old now and 2 look just like their mama. The other 2 are black kinda like their dad. The black ones both have had black combs since they were born and the combs are still short apart from the others. I don't know if this is a problem or not but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to kill them or something. Should I be worried about it? I also figured it might be because of gender but I just don't know.
Where did you get the black sex link roo from? What does he look like? All of my home bred BSL pullet chicks, EE x Dom or PBR have had black combs until they hit puberty, then over the following year, they turn red, though they can retain a bit of a "black overcoat".

Omg!I'm so sorry I forgot to post this morning! I'm not sure where he came from because my aunt gave them to me. She got him and another as chicks but when she got one hen and one rooster she asked me if I wanted him. That's the first I've had a chicken and we got more so our roo wouldn't get cranky our lonely. I'll go out there now and try to take a good photo. Oh! I also went to check on them last night and did see that red was showing quite a bit on their combs! I really hope they are hens though!

I'll have to upload the picture when I have better connection. Sorry my internet is acting up so I have to use my data. I'm going somewhere with WiFi though soon. I'll post it soon. Thank you so much for the help!

It's not a great pic but it shows how his/her comb was black but is now starting to turn red. I didn't really know how red the comb was getting until awhile ago. Sorry for wasting your time but I think they'll be alright. Thanks anyways!

Back
Top Bottom