Chick has chronic runny/stinky poo. Cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tatuana, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    Someone suggested it could be cocci. From what I've read online it chick should be sicker than he is? Just trying to clarify - I have some Corid in the mail just in case. Whichever one it is has had it off and on for at least a week. They're two weeks old. From what I can tell it's only one or two chicks out of the seven. No signs of listlessness, feathers are all healthy and they're all active. They have a heating pad for warmth. Food/water gets changed daily.

When I moved them to my garage I did find a small water spill in their cardboard box I had somehow missed. I'm not sure how long it had been there, though. For the most part I've kept up on keeping their cage clean. Temp has been steady. The chicks seem warm enough, so if it is temp it would only be one or two that are cold.

The poo is VERY stinky, and almost a liquid sometimes. I'm still locating which chick it is. It's for sure not all of them. Cocci is the most common ailment, but where it's been going on so long should I check for something else as well? Could the one chick be somehow cold when the others are warm?

Whoever it is stank up my entire garage last night when they pooed on the heating pad. Any suggestions for better ways to track down who it is? They're all very active and love jumping, so isolating them has been a nightmare.

I should also add that they're on medicated chick feed. It was the only one my local store had in stock at the time. I give them some clean yard dirt for grit. They also roam my back yard a lot these days.

2. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    I'm not a poo expert yet, but if you post pics of the poo in question others may get a better idea of what's going on.

I do know there are different strains of cocci - glad you have the Corid on the way.

Not sure what your yard soil is like, but it's recommended to offer chick grit free-choice in it's own container when they have access to anything other than chick feed (soil, grass, bugs - all that good stuff). You can buy chick-sized grit, but I just ran some regular chicken grit through a colander to sift out the chick-sized pieces. Not sure that has anything to do with the current issue, but can prevent other issues.

3. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    I cleaned their cage this morning then saw the comment about taking a pic. I haven't seen it since, but I'm watching.

My soil is a heavy/clay sand mix. I'll get some chick grit though!

If it is Cocci wouldn't he be worse off if he's had it for a week?

4. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    I really don't know enough about the different strains to hazard a guess... how's the poo been looking today?

5. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    It's looking firmer since I moved the coop to my garage. It's warmer out there.

This is what I found today. I've found some much runnier though. I don't remember my other chickens stinking this bad.

IMG_20190624_212143648.jpg

IMG_20190624_212251263.jpg

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That looks like normal Cecal poop to me.
    Chickens have 2 "types" of poop. 1 is "normal" that is the formed poop with the white cap and the other is "cecal" which is stinky, sticky and pudding like. A chicken poops a cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 normal poops.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Sequel likes this.
  7. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    I wonder why I didn't notice it with my other babies. Maybe because they played in the dirt a lot and pooped there? It's normal even if it's really runny (like a liquid)? If so that's good to hear. I'll have medication on hand for the future!

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Lots of things affect poop - feed, water consumption, weather, housing, etc.
    I would just keep watch on them, take note of poops and behavior just like you are doing now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: