Chick has dislocated leg what can I do??

ChickyD

Songster
9 Years
Oct 11, 2010
NH
My chick dislocated her leg. It was splayed but got better. I went away for a few days and my sister took care of them . She says she didn't notice it getting worse or that anything had happened. When I came home she was in the corner just being trampled by the other chicks. I thought it was splayed again and put bandages on them again but the more I look at her it looks like it's turning backwards
sad.png
She isn't using it at all and she is just struggling to get around. I'm so upset I've done so much for this chicks and to see her suffering again just kills me
hit.gif
She is almost 4 weeks old if that will help with what to do for treatment..

I have a duck suffering with a similiar problem due to a dog. Right now I have him resting alone. Can't tell if he is getting better. I called a friend that is a wildlife animal rescuer that helped origionally. He had gotten shots and medication for some puncture wounds but nothing but rest for the leg. I wish I knew how to relocate the leg. Call some vets and see if they can point you in the direction of someone that does bird rescues or works on birds. They are the best to help if a vet can't and they don't charge you, at least mine doesn't. I hope you can fix your chick.

Thank you Kim and crj. I don't have any vets that will help out for free. I have her/him isolated from the other chicks and she/he isn't happy at all
sad.png

i'm sending some positive healing vibes north to you from new jersey.... i have zero experience, but hope you can get some direction for your peepers...

Get well soon wishes x2 coming from Alabama from GC and DH.

Maybe a vet will just give you some advice... or see if any friends know some old farmers.

The only old farmers in my area would cull. They don't bother trying to fix sick or injured animals
sad.png
I put her back with the other chicks this morning since she wasn't eating
sad.png
I don't know what else to do but pray she get's better. I have no idea how to put her leg back. I called a few vets in my area and they don't work with chickens or any birds. They had no advice for me
idunno.gif

hi, i am having the the chick but i cannot why the legs of most chick are disorder after 3 months only for the male chicks i have provided each and every vaccination necessary for them after the birth.The female chicks never had any problem only the male chicks do have the problem but why?? i cant understand...i have provided them with every vitamin and necessary protein i do also provide milk to the chicks so that their bones should be strong enough to hold their body but still i cant under stand some of the chicks have disorder leg and it happens only after 3 months to some chicks....

i have two chicks with dislocated legs, i have asked the hatchery why? i see no one has a solution other than killing/culling them. mine are separated and are eating and drinking good. i have them on wood shavings and it is easy to keep them clean since rhwr underside is dragging the ground. God please help us/them.

Back
Top Bottom