Chick has funny abscess.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 31, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. 1 month old Wyandotte chick
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Just an abscess, nothing else
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? just today
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, but it's quarantined with a duckling.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No, it doesn't even appear to hurt
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not a clue
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Perfectly normal if not a little extra water but it could be the duck
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Big fat thick poos, normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None. Should I pop it?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Prefer home care
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    [​IMG]
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Large box with heat lamp and duck and hay.

Thank you!

2. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    bump

3. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why yes, yes it is! (sorry I know what you mean, I just had to)

Oh and the abcess is quite soft and pliable - not hard at all. [​IMG]

4. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Are you sure that's an abscess? Perhaps sour crop? I don't see inflammation there, but maybe that's just the picture? If you're not certain that it is an abscess, I would google "sour crop" up in the custom search box (top right). There's lots of good information on BYC for dealing with that. Also, again, unless it's just the picture angle, I'm not seeing anything there to incise and drain... Doesn't look like an abscess to me. [​IMG]

5. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The bump I'm pushing up with my thumb isn't it's chest.... it's the big bulgey wound. It has no entry mark.. but the chick doesn't have a funny smell....

Could be sour crop... in that case... don't I still pop it? (just outside...)

Edit: Oooh just saw the olive oil trick - will try that first.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Google search tells me that this does indeed look a lot like sour crop.... great. [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You don't "pop" a crop. It's part of the digestive tract. I am not seeing anything wrong with that chick, not to say there isn't, just that it looks normal, at least the way you are holding it.

A little bread soaked in olive oil, or yogurt, won't hurt. Next thing I'd do is wait til the morning and see how it is doing. If the crop is flat first thing in the morning, before it starts eating, it's probably ok.

Under Index then FAQ are some links to some very good info on sour crop, in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Gah... Noooo popping crops! [​IMG]
    Are you SURE its sour crop..maybe it just stuffed its self with food and the crop is full of food?? Which is normal..
    I wouldnt do any drastic measures with it yet...just keep a close eye on it for now.

9. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well I'll try another pic but there's definitely a soft spongey growth there.

Anyway I gave it oil and massaged it and tried to induce vomitting but nothing.... I'll try to snap another photo hold on.

Edit: okay okay I won't pop the crop! I thought it was an abscess originally... but no entry wound... could be full?? I just saw it this morning though....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  10. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    UUGHH Okay we think it's food just in there... SO SORRY... turns out the husband fed them half a cup of crumble last night and when I saw it empty I fed them another half cup this morning... the chick is just full. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by