Chick has impacted crop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheepsforkeeps, Aug 18, 2010.

1. cheepsforkeeps

cheepsforkeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    I have a 7 day old chick who has seemed the mellowest and the most docile from the start. Her weight is good, has a great appetite. This morning I noticed that she had a HUGE bump where her crop is. I have been giving her small amounts of warm water bit of olive oil in it, with special curved syringe every 20-30 minute sometimes an hour. I then message her crop it has gone down greatly over the day. I isolated her and only gave her water. There has been a decent amount of poops for her condition, so I know somethings getting through. There is still some very grainy feeling things in there and it seems to be more settled on the side... don't know why. My big question is we are going into the night and I feel weird leaving a young chick overnight without food. I will be asleep and not giving her water and massages. She is drinking some, but doesn't do as much when she's by herself in small box. Will she starve over night and how many times a day should I be giving her water and massage and how much water? I am just guessing on these details. Can anyone with experience help me out with specifics???

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I have heard other people say that they only give olive oil one time. But the feeling in there still may be grit or pebbles has she had any access to them. And she needs very small pebbles or grit. I give mine pebbles every couple of days from the time they are a day old and I have never had a problem ( knock on wood lol ) If it went down a lot over night I would say it fine still rub around on it help it out but make sure they get small pebbles from yard or driveway or some grit. Mine come from my dirt road the sandy dirt has just big enough rocks in it and they love to dust in it. They run to me very quickly when they see me with there green bucket ( old flower planter ) I set it in the corner and watch then hack up there old rocks and pick new ones lol !
    good luck hope this helps !

3. cheepsforkeeps

cheepsforkeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks, these chicks are being raised inside and have only had chick starter. They are on wood shavings. Should I give fine grit anyway?[​IMG]

4. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    yes grit or small pebbles. They have to have it or they can't grind there food !

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Grit is not needed with chick starter; it is a processed feed where the grain has already been ground. Digestive juices are sufficient. Also, grit works in the gizzard, which is further down the digestive tract than the crop.

It is better to wait and watch than to react too rapidly to what might be an impacted crop. All birds with crops tend to pack them very full, then slowly digest their food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by