Chick has lump on her head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CinnamonQueen12, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    My 8+ week old golden buff has a small swollen lump on the right side of her head near her comb. Her eye is also slightly swollen. I will try to add pics tomorrow. I don't think it was a mosquito bite because it doesnt itch her, and it isnt tender because she doesnt pull away when i poke it. I'm wondering if it's not a spider bite. Should I be concerned?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:How is your chick doing today?

3. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Still swollen. Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's her other eye:

[​IMG]

What could be the problem?? How do I fix this?? Should I be concerned about an eye infection?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:you can pick up some terramycin eye ointment at the feed store, wouldn't hurt to start using it to see if it helps. have you tried washing the eyes out with saline ? what have you done and are there any other symptoms? doesn't look like theres any drainage. is she eating and drinking? I t looks red in that area is that normal?

5. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Actually, I haven't done anything. I thought it was a bug bite or something.About 3 weeks ago, there was a tick near her eye, but can't remember which eye. We removed it with no problem. Anyway, she seems to be eating and drinking alot, and she seems really happy. I don't know if it's normal but I have a few older chickens who have red faces and their eyes are not this swollen.

6. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Is it possible that this is IB? How do I treat it? Sometime next week, We have a vets app. for 2 chickens with severe bumblefoot. Should I bring her along and get a profesioals opinion or shoulld I try to treat it myself with warm compresses and saline and noesporin?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:IB? if you are taking 2 in this coming week why not do what you just said till time to take the others and if you don't noticed an improvement or that it's gone then take her along. She really does look very healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by