Chick has something stuck on its vent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hedwig Chicken, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    So this little chick of mine, seems to have ? part of the yolk sac ? dried up to his butt.

He was hatched under a broody hen but he had trouble standing, so I brought him in to fix his spraddle legs. Then I saw that his butt was clogged, so I dipped him in hot water and tried to remove the stuck thing, but I didn’t want to pull to much to hurt the chick.

His legs are doing better now, but his butt’s still clogged. He doesn’t eat or drink yet.

E61CAD59-6688-454A-8964-1C251E3C89FB.jpeg

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    That's your chick's umbilical cord, it should just fall off on its own - don't pull on it, or you could injure the chick. The vent should be above it, under the tail area (check that, too, regularly). The crusty material on the umbilicus is where the yolk was absorbed.

Chicks can go without eating for a couple of days because of the nutrition provided by the yolks they absorb in the last days of incubation. Just offer food and water and the chick will probably start eating and drinking soon. Best of luck!

Edited to add: this site has a photo of both the vent and the umbilical area (scroll down) that may be helpful.

3. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Songster

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    Thank you so much! I didn’t know that! :thumbsup

FoodFreedomNow likes this.
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    YVW. If, after hatching, the umbilical area looks red or angry, I'll put a little triple antibiotic like Neosporin (without pain reliever) on it just to make sure it heals well. :D

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: