Chick has sparse, ratty wing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lexzicat, Apr 7, 2012.

1. lexzicat

lexzicat New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    North Mississippi
    I've got a Buff Orpington pullet about 1.5-2 weeks old whose wing feathers are coming in very sparse and ratty. I got her with 3 other BO chicks, all of whom have normal wing feathers. She (Little Wing) is a bit smaller than her sisters and has been just a tad slower than the others getting her feathers in, so I suspect that she might be a day or so younger. (We got them at a feed store, so we don't have all the details that we'd like.) I haven't noticed her sisters pecking at her or the like. This is my third batch of chicks in a year's time (all from different places/times) and Little Wing is the first I've seen with this problem. Will she grow out of this? Is there something I can do to help her? I'd appreciate any knowledge you can offer! Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I don't know that I'll be of any help, but I can tell you that I've had several chicks through that had feathers grow in just like that and they didn't have any problems down the line.
    Best of luck!

3. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    I don't have any advice..just wanted to say I have several with the same problem.

I don't know what's causing it and am hoping they grow in fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by