Chick has Wierd Fits

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoopedChik, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    I was just given a 3 day (now week old) chick [​IMG]. She's an Americana and she may be 1 of the funniest and sweetest baby chicks I've ever raised [​IMG] She's even taken to being the big sister of a much larger turkey chick. But she keeps having these"fits" they happen when she leans back to far. When she's drinking and tilting her head back to swallow her head goes limp and falls all the back to her rear end, but remains straight over her back and she convulses to try and sit up but it looks almost like a seizure. But after studying her more I know now it isn't. Some suggested it's a vitamin E deficiency and to give her baby vitamin drops once a day but they haven't helped much in fact she does it more and more. She loves to look up at your face but as soon as she does that she starts having this fit. I thought vitamin deficiency makes since because of a pinch nerve but like I've said it hasn't helped much. If any one has any idea what it could be please let me know soon. She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything just her heads stuck [​IMG] And as her new mommy I'm very very very worried for my sweet baby girl [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Vitamin E is not present in Poly-Vi-Sol. That's what you are using, yes? Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin. The only vitamins in Poly-Vi-Sol are water soluble. You need to get the 400 iu gel caps marketed for humans. Snip the end off and give the contents of the cap to your chick. I am not sure how often you should give it in chicks. You need to be cautious using fat soluble vitamins because you can overdose a bird with them. Do not give more than one dose until you get the recommended dosage.

I'll go searching through my archives. I'm pretty sure I have the dosage. Be back soon.

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I have no answers for you - but I wish you good luck. Hope your little chick is fine! [​IMG]

4. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    thank u it said on the label that vitamin was included but obviously it's not working I was just holding her thru another really bad fit when I saw postings. So Fiona (my chick) and I both thank u [​IMG] and thanx 4 the support

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Here's the link I was looking for:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=517126&p=1

This discusses what I believe may be your problem and discusses a treatment regimen. I would hold off on the corticosteroids (prednisone) at this point, and see if the vitamin regimen is not helpful. Corticosteroids require a prescription, so you would be involving a vet.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

6. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    thhank you so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by