Chick hasn't grown

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whudson, Apr 10, 2009.

1. whudson

whudson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    This little chick simply hasn't grown.
    He hasn't shown any signs of sickness. He is very active like everyone else.

[​IMG]

They all hatched at the same time, so he's the same age as the rest of them. Is there anything I should be doing?

[​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is eating well and shows no sign of illness just let it be. I would make sure I banded it so I did not use it for breeding though.

3. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Your pictures don't upload- it's possible it's my computer, but maybe not?

4. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Is that all baby fuzz along his back? I notice a red spot along his rear left, is there a wound? It could be as simple as needing some B vitamins to boost hunger or maybe he needs a wormer. Parasites inhibit growth by stealing all the good nutrients from the food and not leaving enough for the baby. Give him some electrolytes and and put a little food grade DE in the feed. Have you checked for mites or fleas?

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It appears he may be getting pecked at...I see a red spot near his bum. I think I'd be tempted to remove him, along with another that's low on the pecking order so he has company, and providing LOTS of access to chick starter. I'd also add Avia Charge 2000 to his drinking water - I swear by that stuff. It's kelp-based, and loaded with vitamins/minerals that are really good for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by