Chick HATCH HELP pls! Bantam Cochin Frizzle hatch QUESTION!

spcmoken

Songster
May 26, 2019
Hello,
We added some bantam Cochin frizzles (all we knew was that they were bantam straight runs, so I evaluated the wings and chose the 3 chicks I thought were female, yay me, I was right lol) early this year. Some of our cochins have been laying for 2+ months now and my daughter has been asking to try to hatch a couple. HERE IS WHERE IT GETS COMPLICATED!!!: WE HAVE A MIXED FLOCK, we have 2 main roosters, 2 juvenile roosters from this last batch that we are trying to re-home. The juveniles are the ones mounting the cochins! The roos dad's are our roos, a leg gorn and a bielefelder. The 2 adult roos treat the cochins like babies .. no mating interest. They're eggs turned out fertile and we tried to hatch 3... 1 was a dud and the other 2 made it all the way ALIVE until day 19... Never pipped, never hatched . Both Dead inside the egg on the morning of day 20. I did a egg autopsy and saw nothing wrong. It appeared that they had gotten stuck.
We have a new batch due this weekend! I have had a question i can't find an answer to on the internet: since the bantam Cochin hens are so small and their eggs are tiny and dad is a med-large breed mix, is it possible that the chicks are TOO BIG TO TURN AND HATCH ON THEIR OWN? Is this a thing? Because dad is a bigger breed and mum lays a tiny egg, could the babies be cramped?

How old are your pullets?
I find trouble trying to hatch chicks from pullets until they are 12 months old (could be because of the egg size 🤷‍, only coz if you put a pullet egg next to a 12month old hen egg the pullet egg is only 2/3 of the size.)
Also lymphoid leukosis is a risk (at least over here in Aus) in hatching chicks from pullets. Best to wait until they have gone through their second molt.

(My dad has a large wyandotte x leghorn rooster with a mixed flick including some bantam hens and their chicks manage to turn okay so size may not be an issue?)

How old are your pullets?
I find trouble trying to hatch chicks from pullets until they are 12 months old (could be because of the egg size 🤷‍, only coz if you put a pullet egg next to a 12month old hen egg the pullet egg is only 2/3 of the size.)
Also lymphoid leukosis is a risk (at least over here in Aus) in hatching chicks from pullets. Best to wait until they have gone through their second molt.

(My dad has a large wyandotte x leghorn rooster with a mixed flick including some bantam hens and their chicks manage to turn okay so size may not be an issue?)
I'll look into that! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom