Chick hatch trouble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snomom2000, Jul 30, 2013.

1. snomom2000

snomom2000 In the Brooder

Oct 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

Hello,

This chick has been in this position for 1.5 hours now. This is our first time incubating eggs. All the other chicks were out of their eggs within an hour. I think that's a wing on the left side sticking out of the shell. The beak was there an hour ago. I think it may have its beak under it's left wing and therefore the wing is preventing it from turning further. It's breathing and it cheeps. I've read that birds that need help out can have offspring that need help out. We are going to eat these birds so that doesn't matter. I'm wondering if I break the shell and take the chick out will it live or will I only prolong it's suffering because it will be too weak to live.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Cheryl

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Lay the egg flat on it's side and see if that helps? It looks like the chick zipped quite a bit of the shell already, so it should be near ready to complete the hatch.

3. snomom2000

Oct 25, 2008
    Thanks! I helped him open the shell. Part of the membrane had dried to his wing so I cut the membrane. Maybe that's why he didn't finish zipping the shell. That part that was zipped happened in about 15 minutes. I'm glad he's still alive and seems as strong as the others. Yay!

4. snomom2000

Oct 25, 2008
    It's head was under it's right wing. I don't know what the problem was.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's good! Once he's out of the egg dampen the membrane on his wing to loosen it.

6. snomom2000

Oct 25, 2008
    Oops, I ran off and didn't see your last post. The member is off his wing so he must have gotten it off. He's had a rocky start. We left the egg turner in the incubator and he kept falling in head first and getting his head caught. I finally found a box to contain him in the incubator. After that he ended up on his back; I have no idea how long he was like that because I was gone for a few hours (thought he was safe). Anyway, he's been fine since. I just moved him to the brooder with the other 8 chicks and gave him a sip of water. We'll see how he does.

Thanks so much for your help! We learned a lot during this first hatch. :0)

7. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm glad to hear it ended well! Hatching is fun, but it can be nerve wrecking too. I'd suggest for future hatches, that you remove the turner tray from the incubator if possible and let the eggs lay on their sides for the hatch.

8. buttercup95

buttercup95 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I agree with Sumi. I lost a chick due to it getting it's head stuck between the egg turner rows while I was away. Now I take them out of the egg turner the day after I turn it off

9. snomom2000

Oct 25, 2008
    We plan to take the turner out at day 18 this time. It is certainly nerve wracking! The poor chick is still pretty weak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: