Chick hatched backwards.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beakmaster, Oct 19, 2013.

1. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    It pipped and I helped it out a bit. All the rest of the eggs had hatched so I thought it would die if I didn't act. It won't get up and is kicking its legs like crazy. One of its wings is kinda pointed up and backwards. The toes are kinda curled up like they are on most chicks when they first hatch, although he has been hatched for 14 hrs. He is lively as can be... he kicks like crazy but is unable to stand. Should I cull him? I hate to think he might die slow.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    try taking a wash cloth and roll it up tightly then scotch tape the ends together to make a small tight nest and sit him upright in it for a while. you should give him a chance anyhow. and some sugar water too

1 person likes this.
  3. beakmaster

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    I'll give it a try. As of now there is no change. He is lively and I hold him up to get water as much as I can. It seems like his spine is twisted.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ive never heard of that before , hope all goes well and remember, we cant win them all

5. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I think you are describing wry neck.

6. dynodon

dynodon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    I've had several hatch like that ,spraddle legged ,twisted necks , etc. They are always late to hatch .I used to try different things to help them . None of them ever work .Even if they get better , they are never as strong and healthy as the rest . I keep a pair of scissors by the brooder to dispatch culls humanely .I now throw out all remaining eggs , the next day after the majority hatches .The reason being -- the chicks are too weak for whatever reason to get out of the shell on time , they aren't worth keeping .

1 person likes this.
  7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hi, just wondered what u decided? if she got better or not

8. beakmaster

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    She wasn't getting any bigger and her size wasn't keeping up with the others at all. I really hated to do it but I culled her last night. I should'a done it earlier but I thought maybe she'd get better. I had another die unexpectedly also. I noticed then its top beak was real short. I guess it was unable to eat properly.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im sorry to hear it.[​IMG]

10. beakmaster

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    Its sad but I have been relatively luck with my hatches. I hatched 95+ a couple weeks ago (before this small hatch) and only lost 2. It is rough getting attached to one, trying to help it and then nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by