Clops: The Blind Cleft Lid Chick (Updates, Advice, and Discussion Thread)

Your comments on my thread have really helped my stress level because I understand why some people say to just off the chick... And I see why some people say to give it a chance.

It's stressful to be the person that has to make that decision.

I would like to see if it will thrive as it gets older. It's not because I don't want to cull it, it's because my family has made a final decision that we want to continue to watch it closely.

Basically we sat down and discussed the options... Cull now or wait (then cull or keep later).

It's walking, pooping, eating, and drinking. There's no distress or signs of pain or discomfort.

Thank you for helping my stress 🙈
This is the less-fun side of hatching eggs. 🙁 It's a tough decision, but it's yours to make, for whatever reasons you choose. I do understand why some people wouldn't want to deal with a disabled animal...but I think you and I have similar philosophies - if it may have a chance at a good quality of life, why not let it try (unless/until that changes)? You're clearly not averse to ending its suffering if needed, but it doesn't seem to be suffering.

I'm very glad if I've been able to help in some way. 🙂 Personally, I'm hoping you'll have your own inspirational story about your differently-abled chick to share with us someday. Sending good wishes and energy your way. :hugs

This is the less-fun side of hatching eggs. 🙁 It's a tough decision, but it's yours to make, for whatever reasons you choose. I do understand why some people wouldn't want to deal with a disabled animal...but I think you and I have similar philosophies - if it may have a chance at a good quality of life, why not let it try (unless/until that changes)? You're clearly not averse to ending its suffering if needed, but it doesn't seem to be suffering.

I'm very glad if I've been able to help in some way. 🙂 Personally, I'm hoping you'll have your own inspirational story about your differently-abled chick to share with us someday. Sending good wishes and energy your way. :hugs
I hope I have a story to share later on about her. I will continue to take pics and make notes as she grows.

Whether or not to cull depends on your goals for chicken keeping. There's no wrong answer. If your goal is to enjoy chickens and they are outdoor pets or just for eggs, and the baby is thriving and not suffering, then keep. If your goals were to better or maintain a particular breed, to meet standards of perfection (SOP), to show birds, or to make a profit or to breed and sell birds, then you don't want to breed that one (obviously). And those who raise chickens with minimal profit margins to begin with, often choose to cull and cut their losses, to focus on the best of what they've hatched.
I'm in the first camp, personally, but I do this for fun. :frow

The only problem with doing it that way is you'll become attached to her. Hey, she may be good as gold but she may not be too. I speak from personal experience when I say, you may be leaving yourself open to major heartache later. Chances are, whatever it is won't kill her. I don't think it's a hatching injury though, could be a genetic thing, who knows but so long as she gets plenty of nourishment she's quite likely to grow but whatever it is could show up other problems later on.

Whether or not to cull depends on your goals for chicken keeping. There's no wrong answer. If your goal is to enjoy chickens and they are outdoor pets or just for eggs, and the baby is thriving and not suffering, then keep. If your goals were to better or maintain a particular breed, to meet standards of perfection (SOP), to show birds, or to make a profit or to breed and sell birds, then you don't want to breed that one (obviously). And those who raise chickens with minimal profit margins to begin with, often choose to cull and cut their losses, to focus on the best of what they've hatched.
I'm in the first camp, personally, but I do this for fun. :frow
I breed chickens for laying and meat, but I don't do show chickens or anything like that. If she does make it to the point where she is laying eggs, I would not incubate any of her eggs and I would make sure I know what her eggs look like.

I do sell to other people my barnyard mixes that we use for laying and meat, but again I would not incubate her eggs if she got to the point of laying or if she's even a Pullet.

I will let the breeder know about the complication because I am sure that she could tell me who laid that egg. Then she can keep an eye out when she breeds hers. I'm thinking that it's a brahma mix because it has feathered legs like the other 3. The other three came out yellow and this one came out yellow and black.

The only problem with doing it that way is you'll become attached to her. Hey, she may be good as gold but she may not be too. I speak from personal experience when I say, you may be leaving yourself open to major heartache later. Chances are, whatever it is won't kill her. I don't think it's a hatching injury though, could be a genetic thing, who knows but so long as she gets plenty of nourishment she's quite likely to grow but whatever it is could show up other problems later on.
I had to put down a duckling I raised because of a breeder selling disabled ducks without disclosing their issues. They claimed they were perfectly healthy. This one had a spinal deformity, it couldn't even walk right as it grew. It kept falling over and it broke my heart, but the day I put her down I felt relief that she was no longer struggling.

So far I see her thriving. She's quite the spunky little thing. I truly hope it is a she.

These problems may or may not eventuate,
20190302_131142.jpg
20190227_222154.jpg
despite your dedicated love and care she could end up frustrated at not being able to just be a normal chicken and do normal chicken things. I don't want to be negative but you don't want to go through the heartbreak of 4 months down the track realising that you are going to have to cull her like I had to, my beautiful girl, my buddy, lover of watching endless movies.. 2 years on and I still cry at the mere thought of my lovely girl
PhotoEditor_20191001_045719538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom