Chick Hatched--Blood bulge around the disconnect of the umbilical cord

-Shade-

This Is An Illusion
Mar 27, 2021
Ardonia
I have been hatching chicks for at least a week now, through scattered hatch dates. Today I had three chicks hatch fine and 2 more are pipped. But when I looked closely at the third I noticed it has a little bit of a blood bulge around the area where the umbilical cord disconnected. I think I have had this happen with a chick before, but I don't remember what happened or if that chick survived. The blood is dried but I worry about the others pecking at it and pulling out internals or injuring the chick in some way. I have not taken it out of the incubator yet. Will the bulge absorb back into the chick, or is this something I should be worried about? I can't post a picture of it because I don't have a device right now capable of taking the shot. For reference, the buldge is about the size of a small pea,

How is the chick doing? Just curious are you using a second incubator to help with the staggered hatch?
He is doing great. I haven't had any problems with it. Yes I am using a second incubator for lockdown and hatching eggs.

I have been hatching chicks for at least a week now, through scattered hatch dates. Today I had three chicks hatch fine and 2 more are pipped. But when I looked closely at the third I noticed it has a little bit of a blood bulge around the area where the umbilical cord disconnected. I think I have had this happen with a chick before, but I don't remember what happened or if that chick survived. The blood is dried but I worry about the others pecking at it and pulling out internals or injuring the chick in some way. I have not taken it out of the incubator yet. Will the bulge absorb back into the chick, or is this something I should be worried about? I can't post a picture of it because I don't have a device right now capable of taking the shot. For reference, the buldge is about the size of a small pea
I have been hatching chicks for at least a week now, through scattered hatch dates. Today I had three chicks hatch fine and 2 more are pipped. But when I looked closely at the third I noticed it has a little bit of a blood bulge around the area where the umbilical cord disconnected. I think I have had this happen with a chick before, but I don't remember what happened or if that chick survived. The blood is dried but I worry about the others pecking at it and pulling out internals or injuring the chick in some way. I have not taken it out of the incubator yet. Will the bulge absorb back into the chick, or is this something I should be worried about? I can't post a picture of it because I don't have a device right now capable of taking the shot. For reference, the buldge is about the size of a small pea,
If you don't mind me asking how did yours turn out? Did the bulge go away by itself? We have a chick with basically this exact issue and I'm not really sure how to proceed

She turned out just fine. As far as I am concerned the bulge went away and the chick is perfectly fine now. Usually, when I come across this during hatching now, I make sure to cut the umbilical cord from the shell so the chick isn't dragging its shell around by the cord. As long as you cut it a safe distance from the chick itself.

She turned out just fine. As far as I am concerned the bulge went away and the chick is perfectly fine now. Usually, when I come across this during hatching now, I make sure to cut the umbilical cord from the shell so the chick isn't dragging its shell around by the cord. As long as you cut it a safe distance from the chick itself.
Did you isolate your chick and how long did it take for it to go away?

I did not isolate the chick. Once he fluffed up I could no longer tell about the bulge and he has had no issues up to now from it.

Back
Top Bottom