chick hatched but the yolk has not absorbed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Apr 9, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    my first chick just hatched but he still hasn’t finished absorbing the yolk will he be ok? Has this happened to anyone else it’s only a little bit of yolk about a thumbnail sized glob it is only day 20

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Sometimes they do and sometimes they have additional problems that you just can't know.... hope your little chick pulls through just fine! I had one hatch with it's intestine wrapped around it's leg! [​IMG] Got the leg pulled out and she is laying me a nice blue egg almost every day now! So... they can be very resilient! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like your incubator might have been too warm.
    I don't think there's anything you can do except leave it & hope. Most often these do not survive.....but some do.

4. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    I just had a rhode island red chick hatch day 20 had the same thing it dried up and fell off

5. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] he is ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it fell off during the night (made the bator filthy) and he is lively and playing with his sibling

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by