Chick hatched early, yolk unabsorbed. Need advice

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have a chick that is mostly hatched but looks like there is a mass in the remaining egg, is this the yolk? If left will it absorb? The chick is still breathing for now, was it too early? Suggestions?!? Any Hope???
Krista

**edited title for clarity**

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you help it out? What are the circumstances of the early hatching?
If it is still attached tot he yolk and eggshell, leave it alone and hopefully it will absorb the yolk sac.

Hi, thanks for the response. I have read so many things as a first timer and panicked. The chick pipped yesterday and I got nervous since it's been almost 24 hours and decided to try to help, obviously there was a reason it still didn't progress. It is still attatched to the bottom of the shell and I stopped when I saw the mass. There is so much conflicting info, geez. I feel terrible and just need to know if there is any way to save this chick. I don't know day count of the eggs as we did not plan on this, they were given to us. There are 4 left besides this one out of 12 and 21 days from when we got them will be Sunday. So if anyone can refrain from picking on me about this, I really feel bad enough. The other 7 hatched pretty quickly so I really had no idea. So bottom line, did I just kill this baby or is there hope?? and if so what can I do to help?
Krista

I would wrap the baby pretty snug in a wet cloth and keep it in the bator. It can remain there for a long time. This should absorb and be a happpy, healthy, chick. The main reason I wrapped my babies was to prevent them from deciding to wiggle and injuring themselves. Good luck, my guess is, your baby will do alright.
smile.png

Ummm.....question....were these eggs already started incubating before you got them? Under a broody hen, perhaps? I can't imagine them hatching THIS early (if Sunday will be day 21) and you having fully formed, healthy chicks, otherwise.

Last edited:
ok, I have no idea. The people we got them from didn't give my daughter any information, they didnt' even know the breed. They had about 3 dozen eggs but my daugter (it's a schoolmate of hers) said there were only 4 hens so I'm sure some were under a hen. The other 7 are great, one had a rough naval and is now on day 3, thought is was intestines at first but it's still alive and running around, what a roller coaster ride this is, I am so sleep deprived. I am afraid to wrap it because every time I touch it it starts kicking and moving. I just put a damp paper towel to cover it and it is staying put. How long will it take to absorb? I will put a cloth over that so I don't have to mess with it. Do I keep dampening the cloth or just the once? thanks for the help
Krista

I would check it again every few hours (quickly to keep the humidity up) and just leave it as long as it takes. It isn't going to hurt it to still be in there. I had one lone chickie sooooo upset because she was in the incubator alone for most of a day (I would have left her for DAYS if I had to) and she is doing great.
smile.png
The cloth should stay moist inside the incubator. Good luck.

The rough naval chick got put with the other chicks just because it got so obnoxious. I waited for it to be able to run and the stuff on its butt to shrink up. I watched it for a while and it's doing great. I have 3 eggs that aren't showing any sign of anything. I candled after I had them a week and with no other experience I could just tell there was something there and one I was not sure of so maybe it was just laid later than the rest. How many days past day 21 should I wait? I am hoping this chick absorbs by tonight. And I thought this would be easy after 6 kids, yeah right
Thanks again
Krista

Back
Top Bottom