Chick hatched & im very concerned about how its acting

goinginblind

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2015
apache junction arizona
ok so I had a baby hatch this morning its been atleast 2 hrs since its been out of the shell it still has some of the inner part of the shell attached to its abdomen or what ever it is near its rectum & its got what looks like what might be some yolk. its still laying on its side hasn't tried getting up really shes peeping a little bit & moving her legs around. but my concern is the stuff still stuck to it 7 the fact that its not up moving around yet. should I try to cut that off I really want this chick to live. Can anyone please help me asap if its possible for anyone to call my number at 4804698671 id like to get help with this asap call or text would be easier than trying to figure out how to find responses on here. Thanks & God Bless

Hi,
I would try and peel the excess egg off very gently. If it doesn't peel off right away, maybe try and dampen it with some lukewarm water to soften the yolk. After you get it off, put her back in the incubator to dry. Sometimes even if a small piece of eggshell is stuck on a chick, they wont be able to get up even though it doesn't seem like it is restraining them. I really hope this helps
smile.png
and hope she's okay!!!!!

Hey thanks for getting back to me i did get all egg shell pieces off but there is still a bit of the white film stuff that's inside the egg stuck there im thinking its attached to the umbilical cord do you think if I tied a string on it i could cut the big chunk off she hasn't even fluffed out yet or even stand up once so im not sure if its the thing stuck to her or if something is wrong with its legs she does move her legs around while shes laying there but I just dk what's wrong or what to do

Just leave it alone. They can continue to absorb the yolk after they hatch. Hatching requires a lot of energy and they often spend most of day one resting. If it has something wrong with it, it's not going to survive and nothing you do will change that.

I would just leave her and let her rest in the incubator. The best thing to do now is probably to wait and see what happens, which can be frustrating but is for the best. I hope she makes it
smile.png
!!!!

Just want to give an update on the chick it stayed the same all night so when I got back from the hospital with my hubby around 2 am the thing that was stuck to it was dried out so I decide to trim it off without any complications now the chick is up active & looking good now just waiting to see if its ready to eat & drink. Thanks for your responses. Chookenthusiast, Percheron chick

Back
Top Bottom