1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick hatched in Winter - should leave with Hens or bring inside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cxs918, Feb 24, 2014.

1. cxs918

cxs918 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Rehoboth, Ma
    My Silkie hens hatched an egg this week - a few more on the way in the next few days. She is very broody and although its been only a day - she has kept care of the chick. Should I bring the chick inside? Our temps are suppose to get into the single digits this week at night. Days are in the 30s. I think for safety I would bring them inside because if the hen decides to stop laying on them, it will be too cold. This is the first set of chicks for us so I'd like some help with this :)

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Have you considered bringing in the hen and the chicks? I did that one really cold winter. She may be able to keep the chick warm while it's under her but it has to get out and eat and drink sometime. Or would it be possible to separate her and the babies from other chickens and put a heat lamp in for them? The safest thing for the chick would be to be inside with you caring for it but I prefer to keep them with mom if possible.

3. cxs918

Aug 27, 2013
    Rehoboth, Ma
    Yes I can bring one hen in with the chick - I would prefer that (probably the mom in me) I'm going to start that - would you still use a heat lamp?

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

no need for a heat lamp if indoors with mom. she will keep the fluffy butt warm :)

5. cxs918

Aug 27, 2013
    Rehoboth, Ma
    Good point on the heat lamp - I did bring one hen in - its 50-50 who the Mom is - she started pecking at the chick but I placed her underneath and she was fine after that so I have in a brooder on the side of me and will be watching closely - worst case scenario - ill put Mom back outside and add on the heat lamp with the chick inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by