Chick hatched looking weird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmericanMom, Jan 26, 2015.

1. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Broody hatched out 6 chicks between yesterday and last night, checked this morning and five fluffy and fine, saw a small one at the bottom of her nest and figured it had just hatched so I left them all alone. Went and ran errands and came back this afternoon and checked again, although it looks some better but it looks half bald in areas here and there, this picture you can see its head but it is in patches all over and what down there is looks like a crew cut gone crazy... I have dealt with sticky chick before and this is not what this is.. Deformity? Anyone else come across this? What's the outcome? I sold the other five chicks but planned on keeping one, guess it was this lil guy/gal

[​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Never seen anything like it! Kind of ugly-cute! I've only seen a chick that hatched without any feathers at all!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have frizzle x frizzle matings?

4. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Nope... BO's, BA's, Jerseys Giants, Molted Java, Leghorn, Barred rock and a couple Marans

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I'll have to check into it... In the past two years of hatching both in the incubator and under a broody I have never come across this. My flock although large is free ranged on over 1/2 acre, they are fed an all purpose flock raiser consisting of 20% protein, I even start my chicks on it. layers get free choice of oyster shells on the side They get organic AVC in a couple of the water containers and of course fresh water in the galvanized waterer. I feed them a mix of Oregano oil and Cayenne mixed into their feed once a week.

7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Skimming thru the list of vitamin deficiencies I don't see anything even close. My flock is healthy, I have the normal slowdown in egg production during the winter months but I also don't use lighting, I find my hens do better and will lay longer if I let them go at their own pace. Molting although a pain doesn't last for more than a month or so around here, they have about a week and a half that they look horrible but again, that's a normal thing to be expected... I am leaning more twords a bad gene.. Will see how it does over the next few days and make a decision then, that is if the Hen doesn't reject it first..

Just caught me off guard, thanks for your input!! I love brainstorming [​IMG]

8. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    It actually adorable, like, it's so weird it's adorable.

The only thing I could think of is that it's a Frazzle.

9. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I would agree if I had chickens I was unsure of breed with.... Weird, gonna just have to wait and see how it does if it makes it.

10. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    Is he sick? Weak? Acting odd? Or is he like any other chick except he looks bald?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by