Chick hatched now what

LittleAndLottle

Hatching
Jun 23, 2016
Chicken Little got all broody few weeks ago even though we don't have a rooster. I felt so sorry for her so I got 2 eggs from a friend who does have a rooster and added these to her nest. She has hardly moved off the nest at all I have no idea how she has not died from hunger yet. Today I found the sweetest little chick peeping out from under her.

I am obviously hoping the other egg will hatch too, but I am concerned because mommy hen is not leaving the nest to eat and drink. I have placed fresh food and water right in front of the nest but as far as I know she has not moved from her nest yet. How long will they stay in the nest before she takes her baby(ies) out to feed etc? While she is still trying to hatch the other eggs do the hatched chicks just stay underneath her without food and water?

Most hens stay on the nest about two days after the first chick hatches, often depending on if there are eggs left or not. The chick will do fine without food and water for about two days, and if those things are in reach of the mom she should feed it right away.

Congrats on your first hatch, and hope you get another chick!

Thank you so much for the advice! The other egg never hatched. Mom and chick emerged from the nest briefly yesterday and ventured further today , grazing around the garden near the coop. She keeps returning and sitting on the remaining egg though. I candled it this evening and it seems to not have developed. Can I remove it from the nest or should I leave it until she gives up?

Back
Top Bottom