chick hatched! (shoe box and heating pad)PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PlumTuckered, May 3, 2009.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    On wednesday one of our Hen's hatched out 6 babies, she tossed the remaining four eggs out of her nest so I brought them in the house, placed them in a shoe box on paper towels and placed a heating pad on low over the box. A moment ago I checked, couldn't see any activity and decided it was time to get rid of the eggs. Well I was wrong! As I picked up the box I heard chirping and one egg is pipped!!! I'll be sitting here with my eyes glued to that shoebox all day LOL

Michelle

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    How eggciting, I owuld put some wet sponges in there too to keep the humidity up so the exposed membranes dont dry out.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    That is so cool! Good Job!!!!

We will have to see pics of this chickie [​IMG]

4. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Oops forgot to mention that I've got wet sponge in a dish in there with the eggs..I got so excited I could hardly type LOL

Michelle

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! That's very exciting!

Will you put these chicks back in with the ones the hen hatched?

6. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've got my camera ready :) A friend was going to lend her incubator to me so I could buy some hatching eggs but her husband broke it, I normally have 2 broody hens but my second one is acting very weird this year, she gets on eggs for about 8 hours then off. I told my husband I couldn't just toss the eggs without trying something and remembered that I have a heating pad and figured it sure couldn't hurt to try. My 50th birthday is coming up later this month and I asked for an incubator..here's hoping he gets me one!

Michelle

7. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:Good question, one that I was going to ask Ya'll. I've had chickens for 3 years but have never had a lone chick and wondered if it would be safe to put this baby with Fanny and her 6 once it's up and about. Have any of you ever done this? the age difference in the chicks will be 4 days.

Michelle

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    'Fraid you'll have to ask Fanny!

Try it, watch, see what happens, and let us know!

9. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    will do :)

Michelle

10. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Congrats.
    I was just reading last night about someone that hatches eggs in their oven. I started to wonder how many different places people have been able to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by