chick hatched still with a bit of yolk, and blood

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducklove334, May 11, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we have a little black chick in the bator who has zipped the shell,it's livley and peeping and trying to move around, it was due to hatch today, but there is alot of blood and I can still se abit of yolk left outside the body, I placed a piece of wet toilet paper over him, and it's still in the bator. is there anything else I can do, or just wait it out??

I really want it to make it, theres only two left out of the 7 I had due today, the rest candled and comfirmed quiters [​IMG]

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Just leave it in the hatcher and keep it covered with the damp paper towel or TP. Hoping for the best!!

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    how long should it take him to absorb the yolk, he doesn't have very much, so hopfully a couple more hours, he's still fairly active, I can see him moving the paper towl.not sure what he is, but from his legs a comb he is deffenatly a HE [​IMG]

4. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Some of mine have taken anywhere from a few hours to a day mabey even 2.

5. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I had three that did that all are now fluffy butts and a week old. It took about half a day to a day to absorbe yolk. Good Luck

Starry

6. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    so if he lives(wich I pray he does) by tonight, or tomorrow morning he should be right as rain??

we had one other chick hatch under a broody that hatched like that, but it had much more yolk and died [​IMG], the only problem is the turner, if it happens to toss him out of the cup, I dunno what would happen, he's already slid farther from the egg.

7. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    OH he is in a turner can you reach in and lay him down? Do you have all the rows in on the turner? We took out rows and left eggs that were not ready in the back of the turner.

Starry

8. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know how to take the rows out, everything I've read says to unplug it and unscrew the moter?

the little guy is still alive, and is very vocal when I mess with him wich I've only done like, twice to check him, he's still in the bottom half of the egg.

9. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    what kind of bator do you have?

10. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    it's a little giant.

the little guy is still going strong, he's still wet, and active, so hopefully by tomorrow he'll be up and ready, the turner hasn't bothered him though...so I'm just going to leave him, I don't want to risk my other eggs either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by