1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick hatched today at 16 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leithsloft, Jun 29, 2016.

1. leithsloft

leithsloft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    I had a chick hatch this morning at only 16 days. My Buff Orpington went broody so I went and got 4 fertile eggs from a friend. I clearly marked the 4 with, 6/9/16. Then on 6/13/16 my friend gave me another Americana egg to add to the bunch. I marked it before bringing it home. I added 2 more Americana eggs on 6/14/16. This morning I checked on Mama and heard a peep. Lifted her front up to see a wet new baby born. Egg shell was marked, 6/13. I was concerned. Waited a couple hours and checked to see a perfectly healthy baby. Isn't this really early? None of the others have hatched which is fine since they weren't due to hatch till tomorrow. OH...and this first time chick hatching is soooo exciting! I don't know who's more nervous, me or Buttercup! [​IMG]

2. iloveduckies

iloveduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure it is just sixteen?:eek:

3. leithsloft

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    Yes, absolutely sure. I drove to get the egg, marked the date on it immediately before leaving with black magic marker as I did with the others. I was really surprised it was the first egg to hatch! The person I got it from, took it from the hen as soon as she laid it. She has 2 pure bred Americana's and wanted to make sure I included the egg in the hatch. I told her that I wasn't sure if my hen would continue to lay on the eggs after the one's start hatching that were put under her on the 9th. I just checked on the baby and she was out under mom, checking things out and looks full developed with no issues!
    [​IMG]

Getting curious about this thing called, Life!

4. iloveduckies

Wow a new world record lol lucky you:)

5. leithsloft

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    I was just curious if day 16 is unusual and if there is anything I should look for. Thank you.

6. iloveduckies

If she is fully developed she should be fine

7. leithsloft

Mar 1, 2014
    Gaylord, MI
    She is and looks healthy. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by