Chick Hatched, umbilical cord? still attached & bloated

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by desertskynm, Oct 28, 2010.

1. desertskynm

desertskynm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Hi everyone...

I just had a marans hatch but it's umbilical cord is still attached and the area surrounding it looks to be filled with liquid and puffy.

?????

I don't see how to post a pic... Hopefully you understand what I am talking about..
    M.

2. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Kill it.

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Do you have any pics? Easier to tell what it could be. Might be worth waiting a day or two as it could improve. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It could just need time to absorb, and for that swelling to go down. Umbilical cords tend to dry up and fall off just like with human babies. Give it a few days and check progress, and how the little one is doing.

5. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Thank you all for your advice!

I just can't kill it- it has been such a disappointing hatch!! [​IMG]

Yes, I will give it time and will check in with you all...

--

How do you post pics? I see "Img" but don't understand what it's function is...

Best Wishes,
    M.

6. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    to upload a pic go to where you se the index and my page links there is a uploads link click on it and it should walk you through hpw to up load.
    I have had some hatch that had not asorb the yolk all the way. If you give it time keep the area clean and from other chicks picking at it . 99% of the time they will finifh asorbing it and heal up fine. They are slower growing out as they hatched early. They do catch up. One of the biggest I have was one just like above. If it is still in the bator I would leave it there longer then the rest just make sure you take out on day 3 so you can give it food and water. It should be almost dried up by then. Best of luck for your little chick.

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:nice

8. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

How is it acting otherwise? Give it a little time and use your own good judgement. Good luck!

10. desertskynm

Jun 3, 2010
    Albuquerque
    It is very sleepy....

mmaddie's mom :

How is it acting otherwise? Give it a little time and use your own good judgement. Good luck!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by