chick hatched with 2 toes missing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Jan 6, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i just had a BCM chick hatch today that has 2 toes missing....well, at least they are EXTREMELY small! it's the toes on the outside of each foot. the chick seems fine with everything else. it SEEMS to be getting around ok....of course i haven't really had the chance to observe just how well it walks since it just hatched today....and most of the time he's laying with his friends. anyone ever come across this?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I've never had one but I hope it can walk ok for you. Let us know how it makes it.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If it is moving, eating and drinking the only difference from the rest will be this one rides the small bus.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:hahahaha I thought you meant short bus!!! hahahaha

do you have a photo of this chickies missing toe spots??? Im real curious what it looks like??

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:hahahaha I thought you meant short bus!!! hahahaha

do you have a photo of this chickies missing toe spots??? Im real curious what it looks like??

Small bus = short bus = special needs chick.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have a hatchery cochin hen - Blondie, who is "short" on her outside toes - on each feet.

I never noticed her feet when she was a chick due to her outer toe feathering, but did catch it on her chicks (chicks hatched from her eggs - cause I do use her as a broody mom also). ALL of her chicks have "shortened" outer toes to some degree.

I try really hard to NOT hatch any of her chicks any more, and I will not hatch her daughters' eggs.

Just to be clear - in her chicks it is not inbreeding - I am crossing her to a heritage Orpington. I have heard it can be caused by inbreeding but I think it is genetic (well, know in Blondie's case it is).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by