1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Hatched With a Fluid Filled Sac (Not the yolk sac)...Picture Posted

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Patchesnposies, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    It looks like the skin around his tummy/rear and sort of toward his leg is filled with a clear fluid. He is as lively as can be and is just dragging it all around the incubator. I have put him into an empty incubator with a placemat on the bottom to keep him from snagging the sac. I am hoping it will absorb by itself.

Anyone else had this happen? What was the outcome?

Thanks!

Patches

I'll go take a picture and post in a minute.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Here is a picture of the little guy. I didn't realize he had such an umbilical stump either.....I think I had the humidity too high at the end of this hatch. We are so dry here in southern NM, that humidity is a problem.

[​IMG]

3. georgiayankee

georgiayankee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    Georgia
    I have chick with this same type of deformity. Just hatched earlier in the week...is he gonna be ok?? He seems healthy other than the protruding sac of fluid. he does seem a bit smaller than the others. I was wondering if it will absorb on its own or should I attempt to drain it?? Please let me know thanks.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

It could be mushy chick disease, here is an article about it ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

Good luck with your chick :fl

5. georgiayankee

georgiayankee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    Georgia
  6. SqueakChicken

SqueakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I am having this problem too! Whatever happened with yours @Patchesnposies @georgiayankee

7. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Where is the fluid? I had a chick that had this on the shoulder (like at the top of the wing blade) and it went away after 48 hours.

8. SqueakChicken

Mar 5, 2014
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hi @RubyNala97, thanks for the reply. It's near her rear. I'm thinking Mushy Chick Syndrome. But, it's less fluid this morning than last night so fingers crossed she makes it!

9. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    :fl
    I'm not very familiar with the mushy chick syndrome. The one I had was like a clear bubble that had fluid it in. It was a really rough hatch for the chick. And it did get smaller in 24 hours and then went totally down by 48 hours. So I really hope yours pulls through! I had read different things but I did not want to aspirate it or penetrate it for fear of infection, I just waited it out.

10. SqueakChicken

Mar 5, 2014
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    @RubyNala97 I wasn't either, but my research says it likely is that in our case. We definitely don't want to drain it either!

I'll keep you informed. It is really nice to hear about a chick who has pulled through from something similar!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by