1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick hatched with fluid-filled crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mom 2em All, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    last night I had a silkie/turken chick hatch out in the incubator. This particular clutch was brooded by my silkie hen until four days before hatch. She gave up her nest, and the eggs went cold. I brought them in and put them in an incubator. The incubator was not ready, so the eggs and incubator heated up together.
    I wasnt sure how long until hatch, so the chick hatched in the egg turner. I opened the bator, pulled out chick, eggs, and turner- upped the humidity, and put them all back in.
    This chick is one of four- the other three are fine. Wonderful, actually. They are large healthy appearing chicks. This one is active, but it regurgitates fluid. Liquid bubbles from its beak, and it keeps swallowing, and I wipe the liquid from its beak. I checked its crop. It is quite large. It is literally half liquid, half foam bubbles and air- all the way up its neck.
    It doesnt appear to be suffering- and I have to wonder if this is a birth defect of some sort. However, constantly trying to keep its airway clear has to be tiring, and Im sure it wont want to eat if it has a full crop, even if it is just liquid and foam.

Does anyone have any idea and what I should do?

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    never mind. I just found it dead, along with one that appeared healthy this morning.

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:I'm sorry ): I just lost one of mine too ): [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by