Chick hatched with fluid filled cyst on back??? Added Pics Graphic!

needtohatch

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Hart Co
I just had a chick hatch and it has a large fluid filled cyst on its back. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do? The fluid looks clear amd the chick did hatch all by itself.
Thanks

Last edited:
I had one hatch like that about a month ago. The cyst just kept getting bigger and my husband ended up culling it at a week old - it was forcing it's wing to grow in a straight down position. I was sad because it was one of my only 2 BCMs to hatch.

I also had a banty chick hatch with a smaller one on it's rear leg. That one didn't ever get any bigger and as far as I know the chick is still alive.

These were from two completely different hatches/ breeds so I'm not sure what causes it or if they even had the same thing.

23841_dsc03018.jpg

23841_dsc03019.jpg

There are feathers/fluff and veins on it. I am not sure if it could be drained?
Any idea welcome!

Last edited:
Poor baby! That does look like a cyst of some kind. How does the chick behave? Like its in pain, just weak or fairly normal?

Last edited:
Quote:
It just hatched a few hours ago so not sure if it bothers it or not. It is seperated in a small bowl with a soft cloth so the others can't step on it. It is not peeping any more than a normal new chick so I don't think it is pain.

Quote:
Mu aunt who lives with us is diabetic so I may get one from her.
It is one of our eggs so is either pure RIR or RIR/Golden Comet (I think). This is the 4th set of eggs I have hatched from our birds and the first I have had this happen.

Back
Top Bottom