chick hatched with massive growth *graffic pics*

bubblebabeuk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
chick just hatched with massive growth attatched to its umbilicus. I initially thought it was its bowels formed externally but it didnt look right for that. i was examining the chick when he scratched it with his foot and split the membrane. dark yellow gunk leaked out along with another baby chick which had stopped developing at about 14 days. i tied thread around the join between chick and mass and removed it. there was no bleeding and apart from being a bit undersized he seems to be okay. should i be doing anything else to help him and has anyone else had this happen?

will add pics in a bit uploader not working for me

This happens occasionally for me too. I always assumed it was a chick that either didn't form right, or wasn't quite done developing,and hatched too soon.

Although, I've never seen another chick fall out, I have seen the yellow goo. Sounds like twins. The best you can do is feed, water, give it warmth, isolate it from other chicks, if they are picking on it or not letting it eat. It might come around, it might not. If there are any other internal issues from the twin chick, this one might not be formed properly on the inside, and it might have issues digesting food, or other things you might not be able to tell. There isn't much else you can do, but take good care of it and see if it comes through.

sadly the chick died today. he never managed to get up onto his feet and was just too weak. he seemed to be doing quite well yesterday after he had some baby vitamins he was even making an attempt to get up etc.

Back
Top Bottom