chick hatched with no eyes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by frog30117, Dec 11, 2013.

1. frog30117

frog30117 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    We had a chick hatch yesterday with no eyeballs at all. I really don't want to cull it, and it seems to be acting normal otherwise. It was born that way; the other chicks (3) did not pick at it. Any suggestions?

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Please euthanize the poor creature. Chicken life is cruel enough without not being able to protect yourself, avoid hazards, or find food, water, and a safe roost!

1 person likes this.
  3. smhoekzema

smhoekzema Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    It depends how many chickens you have, how they are houses and how much time you are willing to put it. If you have only a few chickens and they are housed in a consistent area (coop and run) the chicken will adjust and will probably be fine. You may have to put it to bed every night and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get stuck in weird place, can find it's way back to food and water etc. Bit like a blind dog really

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Above poster is right.

Leave it and see how it copes.

I had a totally blind hen for many years and she had a lovely life. The 2 roosters always took care of her and shepherded her around. If she got left behind in the yard she would call and they would come to collect her.

Also the other hens never picked on her. The usually took no notice of her, even when she would push through them to get the food pot.

She was super friendly and loved to be petted. As soon as I picked her up she would snuggle down on my arm and I could feel all her muscles relaxing and she would kind of pur if I rubber her comb.

If the chick seems to be having problems, or gets weak or sick, then its better to kill it to stop the suffering.

TIP: HAVE LARGE OPEN FEED AND WATER BOWLS FOR HER TO USE... AND KEEP THEM IN THE SAME PLACE SO SHE CAN FIND THEM EASILY.

My hens only slight problem was it took her a few goes before her beak reached the water.....she would miss several times, and them dunk her entire head under the water by accident, before she got the right level.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I would leave her be and just keep a close eye on her. Like the others above have stated. I wouldn't kill her just for being blind. If she starts getting picked on or looks like shes going down hill then maybe you would need to put her down.

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    How is the blind chick doing now?

7. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Chickens have a remarkable ability to adjust to their surroundings and circumstances. She will use her other senses, like hearing, to find what she needs and others will help her. Post some pictures of her.

8. frog30117

frog30117 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    I wanted to get a picture of it, but I can't find the cord on my camera to post the pic. It didn't seem distressed, but it did die this morning. :(

9. smhoekzema

smhoekzema Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Often chicks born with physical deformities like this will have other internal problems such as organ failure etc. You did the best you could:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    That is unfortunate but probably for the best. Nature selects the strongest and more likely to live. Sorry to hear that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by