Chick hatched with open umbilical area, will it close up? (Warning, GRAPHIC)

LeasureChix

Songster
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Medford OR
I had my hatch date set at 1/27, 3 days ago. I was out of town but Mom was watching the incubator (LG) with 9 Lavender Ameracauna eggs. Nothing happened over the weekend but when I got home there was a Lav Am chick but I've never seen one that hadn't closed up like this. Any ideas? I applied a little Vetericyn gel to prevent infection.

Now that it's been a few hours, the chick is looking much better. I'm still shocked that it hatched at all. All the other eggs are dead as far as I can tell. I candled, didn't open them. The umbilical area has almost completely closed and all I've done is apply Vetericyn a couple times. I've moved baby to a brooder I had set up and he/she is chirping away... lonely I'm sure.

Even just 1 chick is fine with me. I'm glad it wasn't a total bust.

the first time i hatched chicks i put them in the auto turner upside down (i don't use my auto turner anymore by the way) and my humidity wasnt high enough. they pipped upside down and then nothing. one chick finally died in the shell because he dried out and shrink wrapped. it was then that i took action. steamed up the bathroom, tweezers, q-tips with water, the works. i slowly peeled the chicks out of the shells. i only had 2 survive. and they all had the umbilical attached. i cut the cords with some scissors and put them back. the chicks eventually pulled the rest of the cord back inside of them and the belly button closed up. your chick should be fine. just give him a day or two. (in retrospect, you probably already know this because you posted this thread yesterday.) in my limited experience, all signs say he'll be fine after a day or two.

Thank you for the comment. I'm glad I didn't do anything except apply the Vetericyn. I had some suggest using "nu-skin" or even trying stitches. I decided I would prevent infection and let nature take it's course. I was shocked at how quickly everything looked "normal". Today the little chick is in the brooder with some week old silkies and doing quite well.

I'm glad you were able to save a couple of your first chicks. I use turners but I know a lot of people don't.

Good to hear it.
thumbsup.gif
Hopefully he should grow up to be a healthy chicken. I think they're pretty cute even when they're all wet like that. something about their little faces.

(totally unrelated, but I feel like i have to put this here)

SILKIES!!!! I LOVE SILKIES!!!!!!! i want some of them SO BAD! are they really good Broodies? I'm thinking about getting a few but I mostly want them so I can keep my hatching addiction away from my mom. she avoids my flock like the plague so if I have some Silkie partners in crime it'll work out good for me.
yippiechickie.gif

When I see that, I just leave them in the incubator an extra night, and it seems to correct itself. I'll bet things will be fine tomorrow.

Little Miracle chick is strong and healthy as a horse. Since none of my other LA eggs hatched, it's now living with some silkie chicks that are about a week older. You'd never know it had a slow start in life. I'll update with pictures later on.

Back
Top Bottom