Chick hatched with ruptured yolk sac

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
Edit: Apparently it is a poop-sac, not a yolk sac. :p A yolk sac is attached to the navel and the cord goes from that to the poop-sac, which is usually located on the pointy part of the egg, but the chick kicked free with so much force it pulled the poop-sac off the egg while keeping the cord attached to it and itself.

It is all shriveled up now and looks like it should drop off either later today or tomorrow.

Original Post:
I got a silkie chick who emerged with it's yolk sac hanging off, though there was no yolk in the egg, it looks like the sac itself has been damaged. It still has blood veins attached to it, but there is no bleeding from the damaged yolk sac that is hanging off the chick. I am unsure on what I should do, will it absorb in by itself even though it is damaged, or should I do something?

It is like a deflated, sticky balloon with a visible tear in it's side.

Last edited:
Two pictures of the damaged yolk sac, sorry about the quality as I couldn't find the camera I normally use.
yolk.png

yolk2.png

That will dry up and fall off .....Leave the Chick to rest as it drys....It should be fine.....
I can't leave it alone as it demands I hold it, being the first hatcher. :lau I have the little one cupped in my hand being all cute snuggling against me as it absorbs the yolk sac. I have noticed it receding some since it first hatched.

Don't allow it to get chilled at all...I would put it in the brooder...It will be fine....
I am cooking myself to ensure it doesn't get chilled, it is a warm day and I have the electric fire on. It is fluffing out nicely and is very energetic. I do have a brooder ready for it for when I need to do stuff around the house though.

Perfect....Best of luck to you and the little Chick....:frow

Aye, I got some flour and tissue at the ready in case anything bad happens regarding it stepping on the sac or something. :p But so far the chick is doing very well and has avoided doing so, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom