1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick hatched with twisted toes, legs, and neck... Not sure what to do from here.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MisfitMarie, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I had a chick hatch out about 80% of the way (and four days late) over the past couple days. I helped it at the end, noticing its position being quite awkward. It came out without any problems; however, as I watched it dry off and wiggle around, I started to notice problems.

1. Severely curled toes. I have since wrapped them in cheap Band-Aids and some sparkly craft tie...and I am only resorting to these until I can pick up some better supplies here shortly (I need better Band-Aids).

2. One bent/spraddle leg. I have banded the legs together about an inch apart.

3. Bent neck. The chick can move it's neck up and side to side in a tilting motion, but cannot seem to lower it down. It's obvious that something just isn't right there.

4. Slight clicking noise every time the chick breaths.

For now, it cannot stand. It is extremely vocal, twisting and wiggling about. But it cannot do much except lay on its side.

Chick finally broke out of the egg 12+ hours ago and was moved into the brooder once it had dried out a little bit...where I began to notice these problems.

Is it just really soon? The other hatchlings haven't had any of these symptoms and were growing into strong little chicks almost immediately.

Any suggestions or similar experiences? I am mostly worried about the neck and strange clicking sound while it is breathing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You can try addressing the neck issues and leg issues with a multivitamin mix, sometimes you get almost miraculous results from that, and deficiency is possibly the most common cause of such symptoms. I think most people use PolyVisol or something like that, I don't know, never had these issues myself. It's generally caused by maternal insufficiency of nutrients while creating the egg. If the hen bred was on layer pellets the whole time, this is a common result.

These things are not caused by premature hatching, generally it's things like low B vitamins that cause such symptoms.

The clicking when it breathes, and the odd lump at the corner of its mouth in the top pic, I don't know about for sure, sorry. It may have inhaled some fluids, it may have internal deformities, lots of possibilities. It will either get better or it won't.

Obviously it will need help to drink and feed, I assume you're doing that, but just checking.

Best wishes and good luck.

3. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the reply! I will have to find some of those vitamins!

This little chick is super spirited. The leg and feet are looking slightly better already, but the poor thing can't stand up...it just simply falls over onto its back.

It's neck is still quite award and moving at unnatural angles. It is most concerning to me.

I gave him a few drops of Save-A-Chick but it was the ELECTROLYTE version... it has some vitamins in it, but I didn't see any B listed =(

Hopefully, it can hold out until tomorrow...when I can get some vitamins for it. =(

For now, it is propped up against a sock. Sort of on its side, but still upright enough to be resting on its legs in a more natural way.

I will tell you this, though: the chick seems to have a LOT of energy... very vocal. Whenever it tips over, it furiously tries to correct itself. Legs go spinning, and everything. LOUD peeping.

[​IMG]

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    All you can do is give it a chance, and if it's keen, it will fight. Sounds like it's keen.

If it doesn't work out, please don't take it to heart. I hope it does work out for both of you.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by