Chick hatched without absorbing ANY of the yolk sac...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmvisualart, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mmvisualart

mmvisualart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Charlotte Region, NC
    For the first time, we had a chick hatch without absorbing ANY of the sac into its belly. At first I thought it had a parasitic twin that had not developed, until I took a closer look. I carefully put it in with the other chicks after it and its sac had dried up a bit in the incubator. The sac dried up altogether pretty quickly, so I was able to snip it off the chick. I still assumed that this one would not survive.
    About 24 hours later, that chick was still alive. It seemed to want to stay in the world, so I mixed up some electrolytes (water, sugar and a pinch of salt) in a tiny medicine cup. He perked up quickly. His behavior certainly was not that of your average chick, but he was trying.
    Today I added applesauce to the mix – early in the day, It went down OK. At the grocery tonight, I purchased a jar of chicken, squash and grain baby food. YES, I bought a chick chicken. Meat is a reliable method of getting protein into their system quickly and chicken is easy to digest. Mixed with water, he took the new food mash from a big dropper. Every time he gets something down, he energizes.
    For the full story and updates: http://farmette1769.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/chance-the-chick/

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Amazing! I hope the chick makes it! Good luck!

3. AlaskaChicks

AlaskaChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    any update on Chance? *crossing fingers*

4. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    X 2! [​IMG]

5. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I was reading the link that was posted. On March 6th, this is what was posted:

"I sit here writing, trying not to cry, having gotten attached to the little guy. Chance passed away a little while ago. He developed a hernia in the spot where the yolk sac was not absorbed. OK, now I am crying. It is always worth a try, even though this is the most likely outcome. We really enjoyed his presence here. RIP Chance…"

http://farmette1769.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/there-was-a-chance/

Sad [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. mmvisualart

mmvisualart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Charlotte Region, NC
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by