Chick Hatching Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gemandtim, Feb 4, 2014.

1. gemandtim

gemandtim New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Hi Everyone,
    I've had a broody black orpington sitting on some eggs and this morning the first chick had hatched and was looking fine. When I went back to check on her a couple of hours later the mother hen had pecked her to death :( It was definitely the mother hen as she is the only bird in the pen with the eggs. I'm now really worried about the others - 2 more have started pipping and although I keep checking them I'm scared they will emerge and she will get to them before I do. Should I remove these eggs to a brooder to complete their hatch? If so is there anything special I should do? This is the first time I have done this! Any advice would be a great help?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Some chickens are horrid mothers.

I would either sit out there and keep an eye on her, or just take away all of the eggs, and take care of the chicks yourself.

[​IMG] Sorry you had to witness that!

3. Alaskan

Oh, and, [​IMG]

4. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    I'm sorry for losing a chick and orpington make great mother but Frozen Flake is right and this hen doesn't have to be a mom.

5. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013

6. gemandtim

gemandtim New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Thanks for the support everyone, I was devastated to see that she had done that and felt so sorry for the poor chick. Needless to say we won't ever let her hatch eggs again. I ended up taking the remaining 2 away from her as Frozen Flake suggested and letting them hatch in our brooder. I'm pleased to say we now have 2 happy healthy little chicks! [​IMG]

7. tmgalletti

tmgalletti New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Hayden Idaho
    I have three hens, my broody one is sitting on two eggs I got from a friend do I need to separate the other two from her when they ready to hatch?

8. Alaskan

There is no way to know if it will work out until *after* it happens.

Some people manage to keep a broody safely in with their other hens, but there is of course the risk that the other hens might peck at and kill the chicks.

The problem is that you never know....

You need to decide how important those chicks are.

9. tmgalletti

tmgalletti New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Hayden Idaho
    Thank you! I think I might separate them when we get close. These chicks are pretty important to my broody hen;) she has a mamas instinct that's why I got them for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by