Chick having hard time standing and walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseyjess, Sep 12, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    I have one chick out of the lot that has a hard time walking. Its like he cant get his legs under him. He is otherwise healthy eats a ton drinks good. It just falls alot sits odd and its legs seem to splay outward. What can I do? I only have one picture with him in it to show you what I am talking about. It was taken on my washer so made the problem worse but you can see what happens to its legs thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
  3. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:Ok thanks I did that last night. He isnt to happy (will call him he being as most of it is a straight run and chances are he lol) I had to remove the pad from the bandaid cause if I didnt he would take one step and fall over his head then everone would lay on him.

One thing it didnt say was how long do I leave the bandaid on. The website said it would probably fall off but its 8 hours later and still there! Thanks again!

4. IrishBoy

IrishBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    hey i'm new to all this but posted something like this problem last week when my buff orp chick hatched , it had the same problem!

fone the band aid trick left it for exactly 24 hours and roemoved it and it took about a few hours until the chick was back to running about and looked fine, a week on and it is just as quick as the other chicks .. Annie is so cute and since i handled her so much them first few days she is soo tame!

5. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Once it shows signs of actually walking on its feet...that's when you can take it off. I had to leave it on for about 12 hrs...

6. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, my chick is having the same problem. Do you leave the splint on even though he can't walk and falls over on his back? He can't get back up. He looks worse with the splint on.

7. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    What are you using for the bedding/flooring of the brooder?

8. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:I am using shavings, the bales of compressed shavings. He seems better but not perfect. I left the bandaid on for overnight took it off he is better but still ify. So I put it back on him will take it off at 5am before I go to work hopefully he will be better after that [​IMG]! Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by